Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Giving Thanks

 The photo above shows the Oriental Methodist Church communion table, laden with harvest beauty. Below is the overflowing cornucopia from St. Peter the Fisherman Catholic Church. They added twinkle lights!!!
 Our community Thanksgiving service was Sunday evening at the Catholic church. Such a lovely service, lots of music and scripture reading. Below are more decorations from that sanctuary.
 

I've been negligent in my autumn journal. Here's a new page. I attempted some lettering in the style of Susan Branch and discovered how very HARD it is. She must have endless patience and amazing skill, not to mention years of practice.
 And this page below is just a silliness I put in my journal. The ink ran a little; it's hard to read.
 I distressed the page to make it look old and tattered, as if from some ancient traveler. It says:
"I swear it is true. I boarded the train, began to read 
this strange book that lay on the seat beside me, fell into sleep, 
and woke in a place and time foreign to me. 
The only object that transported with me is the book."

I showed you the lovely, deep red coverlet and pillow shams I bought at the thrift store. Suddenly, the lamp in that bedroom no longer seemed to suit (on the left).
 

I covered the shade with some fabric samples I've had for a coon's age. Now I think I need to paint the base, yes?

 On Sunday afternoon Adam and I visited a friend nearby who hatches chicks and loves to swap things. A lady wanted chicks from her and offered some raw alpaca fleece. My friend had no need for alpaca, but she likes my soap ... so we had a giant 3-way swap, and in the end, I received 3 bags of fleece -- two bags of white and one bag of gorgeous dark brown.
I long to learn to spin, but I don't have money for a spinning wheel. Spinning can be a pricey hobby. I don't want to buy cards either, but I have two nit combs, the kind you use to remove lice from a child's head. I've been combing small amounts of fleece with them while watching T.V. It's so relaxing!
raw alpace fleece
combed fleece

 Here's a nice ball of alpaca fluff!
Here's a youtube video of a beginner like me, who found cheaper ways to process your fleece.

Last night Philip, Kara, and Julia arrived for Thanksgiving, so we're busy and cooking and playing with dogs and all manner of family things right now, so I'll sign off, wishing all of you a very Happy Thanksgiving wherever you are spending it, and with whomever you are eating. May you benefit from a thankful heart and contentment in what God has given you!

7 comments:

Henny Penny said...

I love the new lamp shade and can imagine the warm glow it puts in the bedroom. That is why I like red for decorating. Oh how you sound like me! I've dreamed of spinning since we move into the cabin in 1989, but no way can I afford a spinning wheel. I get excited when I see one at a flea market or thrift store, but usually those are pretty beat up and broken. We bought two sheep in 1989. I keep dreaming. You got a good deal on the fleece. I'll watch the video. Thank you, and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

magsmcc said...

A very happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, MK. I remain very thankful for you x

Lisa Richards said...

It looks like your video disappeared. I have the worst time getting those videos to "stick"! Have fun spinning! :) The new lamp shade is pretty. What color will you paint the base? Green? Gold? Hmmm...

Kezzie said...

Happy Thanksgiving! The Harvest displays are enchanting! How beautifully they are crafted. I love your swap! I had a friend who hand spun wool as we were at a music camp- I was fascinated!

Granny Marigold said...

So many different things to comment on here today. First of all, I like your journal page a la Susan Branch. She does have great style which almost seems to come naturally to her.
I really like your rather uncanny bit about the strange book on the train. Almost like Nick Bantock's Griffin & Sabine.
Your newly redone lampshade will go so well with the bed coverlet!!
Your 3 way swap that netted you 3 bags of fleece is such a serendipitous thing. Once the holidays are over you'll get into carding or whatever one does with the fleece. I had an uncle who made spinning wheels and I could have had one but since it's not really my thing I never asked him to make me one. Silly, huh?

I hope you have a wonderful thanksgiving!!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Your page for your journal is really lovely.

Happy Thanksgiving to you, Adam, your family & critters ~ FlowerLady

Carol Blackburn said...

Happy Thanksgiving M.K. I hope you and Adam had a joyous day. I love that snippet you wrote about the train and the book. You do have such a talent for writing. Did you ever thing of writing stories for young adults. This one sure has a good premise you can expand upon.