Thursday, November 16, 2017

Illustrations

I wrote a short, simple children's story, one designed to be read aloud, perhaps as a good-night story. Nothing fancy -- the story of Punkin, a hen, and a mouse that she befriends. I typed the story, copied it into a homemade book (made with mixed media paper), leaving room on most pages to add illustrations later.
It's later. I finally bit the bullet and started coloring with pencils and painting with watercolors. Here's what I have so far.



The little red mushroom seems rather out of place, but there it is.
I added text around it to make it fit in better.
I sketched Punkin first, to get her right.
I wanted this first picture of her to give a perfect impression to the child seeing the story.

Here's Punkin, or "Punky," as I call her.
I did some watercolors and some sketches. 
Since the book is just for me and the grandkids, 
I figure I can do what I please.


The mouse below I sketched from studying
a mouse Julia drew for me. Hers is so good.
I cannot sketch animals from my mind;
I must have a photo or other image to copy.

This is the real rat hole in our coop.
This baby mouse I compiled from images on google.
That's it so far. Let no one think that we have a grandbaby on the way yet -- we do not! But I will be ready when we do!
I've been working on herbal teas. These are two I've put in tins so far. I also did some peppermint today. The one on the right is dried leaves, so they're rather crumbly. The thyme leaves are green.
I've been drinking thyme tea for 24 hours, and I believe it's helping me keep a cold at bay.
I went to the thrift store today looking for a book I'd seen there. (Drat!! It was gone! It was Susan Branch's Christmas book.) Instead I found this lovely bed spread and two shams, all for $8.
Isn't it lovely? I adore that deep red color. This is on the guest room bed. It cost less because the edges are a bit worn, but otherwise it's in beautiful condition. I will donate two other blankets, attempting to keep from being a hoarder.
That's it from me today! 
I'm loving this painting activity. 
It's very relaxing. I'll never be a real"illustrator," but if I have fun and make books for little grandies, that is all I want :)
Eight pages down; about 22 to go.

All artwork, images, and text are copyrighted by M.K. Christiansen

7 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

I love the beginning of your book about the scared little hen. I plan on reading it to my grands once it's finished.
Love the red bedspread too. Red is one of my favourite colours and when we first built this house we had a red carpet in the bedroom with a black and red ( think BIG flowers) bedspread.
I finally remembered to bring in some Thyme today and have had 2 cups of Earl Grey with Thyme tea and it was tasty with a dollop of honey.

Lisa Richards said...

The book is looking great! I agree that just making books for the grands is the most fun. When I get moved out to my daughter's place (next summer?) I'd like to try growing herbs for tea and veggies for the freezer. Woo hoo! I really love that red bedspread and shams! I'm also trying to keep hoarding to a minimum. Enjoy your fun projects!

Carol Blackburn said...

Good morning M.K. I think your book is lovely. It will surely bit a hit with the future grandbabies. They will remember your story when they've grown up too. I used to make up stories for my children when I rocked them in my special rocking chair, little songs too like the "Nana's Rocking Chair" song. To this day my 40 y.o. daughter can sing them and tell me the stories. It's amazing what children remember that we don't know about until they tell us. Oh, do have fun with it and enjoy every creative moment. Blessings!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Your little book is sweet and about real life, a real treat for some little one and big ones too. :-)

Your teas sound good. I'm feeling some kind of bug this morning, not feeling good at all. Throat feels swollen, phlegm, and sometimes I feel like gagging, and sometimes do. Today will be a do nothing day I think. Just took a dose of Floradix herbal iron tonic. I had ordered it earlier this week and it came last evening.

What a deal on your bedspread and shams!! Love the colors for this time of year too.

Have a wonderful weekend with Adam and your critters.

FlowerLady

Gumbo Lily said...

I love your chicken book and I think one day your Littles will love your stories and illustrations too. That's fun!

The new bedding looks beautiful. I love the red color too.

I'm a fan of tea for colds/flu. There are so many herbs that really do provide healing benefits.

~Jody

Una said...

I had to look up he meaning of "sham". We live and learn! Looking at your illustrations, I would say you are definitely an artist. Impressed. Your mention of peppermint made me laugh. I baked a chocolate and peppermint cake today. It was a disaster! Luckily, I was just trying out a recipe before inflicting the end result on visitors.

Henny Penny said...

Your little book and drawings are simply adorable! You are very talented!! I love the new red bedspread and shams. I'm always looking for "red" when I'm in a thrift store. I don't care for red clothing so much, but love red for the cabin.