Monday, February 5, 2018

Doings

It's February, and if we don't get some things done now, they won't get done until Who Knows When. We have well and truly launched into the kitchen gutting. Today Adam got all the way down to the floor.
 Those cabinets had to go. Underneath them was, I believe, the Great Mouse Hang-out in this part of the county.
 This is the kind of cabinet bottom we were living with. No more!
 And the plumbing! This was certainly Mouse Grand Entrance! Adam will move the sink plumbing so it comes up through the floor, and replace the dry wall panel there.
 Our new floor will be sanded plywood. Not fancy ... I know ... but I don't want a fancy kitchen ... At All. I want something that looks like wood. 
 

Adam put down four pieces. It feels so solid and good. I will stain it and put down 3 coats of polyurethane.

In other news, we have an apartment building on our property! Bird apartments, that is.
 We bought a Martin House for Valentine's Day, for us. Martins eat mosquitoes, so we hope for fewer bug bites this summer around the house.
 For our lovely, cozy SuperBowl Party, Adam made a delicious cheese dish with mozzarella, cream cheese, peppers, and round steak. 
 It was bubbly and fabulous, and we ate it on bread.
 Because our T.V. died, and we don't have cable, etc., we decided to watch SuperBowl X (1976): Dallas vs. Pittsburgh. It was fun and hilarious. I love old-school football.

My spinning is really coming along. I'm getting the hang of it and can spin a fairly consistent yarn single. I love combing and dizzing fleece, which is essential if I don't want to pay a fortune for roving online.
 It's good to know that, once I got my skill level up, the wheel itself works well. There has been, however, a good bit of "operator error," as they say.

Trixie is growing up and becoming a good girl. She's pretty snoozy in the evenings.
I'll share more kitchen redo photos as it comes along, especially when the floor is stained. See ya later!

8 comments:

Lisa Richards said...

Such a great little nest you're building. You'll love cooking in your new and improved kitchen! Every farm needs a martin house. My son-in-law and I were going over plans for my Granny Flat the other night. You're giving me ideas! :)

Henny Penny said...

Don't you just love getting started on something like re-doing the kitchen. It's a job! Your new Martin House is so pretty and looks good there. You are very talented...at many things!

melissa said...

I can relate to the cabinets. If our 69 year old kitchen cabinets were taken up, no telling what we'd find. Creepies for sure! Y'all are my heroes.

Granny Marigold said...

I don't remember you mentioning that a kitchen re-do was in your plans. I'm excited for you.
The Martin house is neat! We don't have Martins around here but neither do we have a lot of mosquitoes. By the river they're bad but not in town so that's a good thing. Mosquitoes LOVE me.

Deborah Montgomery said...

Wow, look at you two! Your husband is a pretty handy guy, taking care of that kitchen and baking and cooking up delicious goodies. You will be so happy when the kitchen is done! Love the spinning, and the apartment. I get so much joy watching our bird friends.

Carol Blackburn said...

Mornin' M.K., I must say, Adam is doing a bang up job on his renovations. You will be in heaven with your new kitchen. Mike asked me if I wanted to redo the kitchen last week and I said no. This kitchen was built in 1977 and is still all original except for the vinyl flooring we put in two years ago, and the stove and refrigerator. I'm too cheap. Everything works and that's good enough for me, for now at least. Maybe someday it'll need updating but it's kind of cozy with it's browns and terra cotta flooring and decorations I have up (I love terra cotta). Have a wonderful day!

Pom Pom said...

Your new kitchen will be super cozy and mouseless! Yay!

Gumbo Lily said...

Solid wood underfoot is a great feeling! Good job!!